There are many risks when you undergo any form of breast enhancement surgery. If it involves a scalpel and incisions, then you’re probably going to need the whole nine yards - fully accredited surgery center, anasthesiologist, a board certified surgeon, and a few nurses. A lot can happen during your surgery. You should be well aware of the risks before you agree to any kind of surgery.
Please read this great breast enhancement article about breast augmentation.
Anesthesia is an uncommon area for surgical risks, but when it happens it can be very dangerous. It is often said amongst surgeons that anasthesists have a very boring job 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the time it is sheer terror. This is true, because when a patient reacts adversely to the anesthesia medication, it quickly turns into a life or death situation that will reach a final outcome within just a few minutes or less.
Outside of medication reactions, other problems with anesthesia usually surround the process of intubation (inserting the breathing tube). Breathing fluid into the lungs is also a problem, as is an elevated heart rate due to the overall stress placed on the body.
Excessive bleeding is another real problem during surgery. Bleeding is to be expected, but sometimes a patient will bleed profusely and the surgery itself must be canceled. In some cases a transfusion will be required. This, of course, brings into religion into the mix because some faiths forbid the use of blood transfusions. This will need to be discussed with your surgeon prior to having your procedure.
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT or “blood clots”) are a very real risk of surgery. The clots can start in the location of the surgery or can be caused by the patient’s inactivity after surgery.
Blood thinning agents are often administered to help patients post surgery. This helps prevent the formation of blood clots. If a blood clot forms, it can be end the life of the individual if it travels through the bloodstream and gets lodged into the lung. If it goes to the brain, it could cause a stroke.
Patients who have experienced DVT before are obviously at a greater risk of experiencing it again and should disclose this to their surgeon long before having the procedure.
Delayed healing after surgery is another risk of any surgical procedure. Don’t forget that a surgery is trauma to the body and the body must properly heal itself. If for some reason you are not healing as expected, your surgeon may prescribe more drugs or possibly another surgery.
Breathing problems after surgery is also very real. The majority of patients will begin breathing normally on their own. However, a small percentage won’t, and they will need to be placed on a ventilator and watched carefully until they can breathe completely on their own again.
While last on this list, an infection is no small matter. Any type of infection can force a patient to undergo emergency surgery or be required to take additional medications. Infections can occur with any type of surgery and present a very real danger to the health and safety of the patient.
Want to hear the latest and greatest about all of the above? You need to speak to a board certified surgeon who specializes in your particular procedure. There’s no other way to get the most accurate, current information. Call and schedule an appointment today. Most surgeons offer free consultations, so don’t worry about spending any money to find out what you need! Good luck!